Hello,
I'm returning to Jira after some time away however, this time I am the site admin. I'm leveraging the capabilities of the advanced roadmap hierarchies and have just noticed some unexpected behavior with the Epic Link and Epic Colour when using a custom Epic Issue type. I only have a handful of projects at the moment so, I just want to make sure what I am doing would be considered best practice.
I have a hierarchy level above the standard (Story) Issue type consisting of;
- Strategy
2. Initiative
1. Epic / Work Package
_ Stories
_ Sub-tasks
We will be using Jira across software, electronics and mechanical design disciplines so, I want to use the term Work Package for the Epic Issue because this feels less alien to the team as a whole. I was expecting to still include the term 'Epic' in the name so it would relate to in-built filters etc. and general given name for this Issue type within Jira.
- I've noticed that Epic Link and Epic Colour isn't available for my new custom Epic. I think I have my Issue screens correctly configured to show them. I see the Epic Colour box next to the Epic Summary with the out-of-the-box Epic, but not with my custom Epic.
Is this correct or am I missing something? - I've also noticed that the out-of-the-box Epic shows as grey, compared to my custom Epic (see image below).
Is this normal or have I created it incorrectly?

- I have just found out about the Deprecation of Epic & Parent Link to Parent here & here. From what I can tell, Parent has traditionally been used to relate sub-tasks to Issues and the Parent Link is used to link Issues above Epics.
What does this mean for me setting up a new Jira Cloud instance and should I be avoiding using some of these link types?
I haven't simply renamed the out-of-the-box Epic as my understanding until today was that I could have had more than one type.
In some respects, having a single name to link issues up the hierarchy makes better sense, it's not easy to explain the various link types to a new user - especially when I'm learning a lot of it for myself still.
Any help would be really appreciated.