I'm using the python REST API for Jira to create new issues in Jira (next gen). I am able to do so using bare bones commands:
issue_dict = {
'project': 'AT',
'summary': 'Testing custom field',
'description': 'Look into this one',
'issuetype': 'Test Issue'
}
issue = jira.create_issue(fields=issue_dict)However, when I try to create a new issue while providing a value for a custom field, I get an error. I have already created this custom field in my Jira instance by dragging the "short text" option to the "context fields" section under Project Settings > issue types. Code and error below:
issue_dict = {
'project': 'AT',
'summary': 'Testing custom field',
'description': 'Look into this one',
'issuetype': 'Test Issue',
'Species': 'Homo sapiens'
}
issue = jira.create_issue(fields=issue_dict) 
My understanding is that custom fields work differently between classic and next-gen Jira and most of the queries I see online with regards to this refer to classic Jira. Does anyone have any advice regarding this issue? Thanks!