Hello
I've been using Jira for about 4 months now as a new user. Currently my workplace has been using Jira for well over 3 years and as such it is quite a mess.
The QA manager and I are looking to try and improve the Jira tools we use at the company because currently we are only using epics and labels. Which had led to us having 46 epics and 51 labels in total - all of which are usually very specific to projects that have been archived years ago.
For context, I work at a small software startup (yes its an app company how could you tell?) which means there's a big emphasis on not only providing information for reporting and managers but also for developers to simply get in, do their tickets and get out with minimum hassle, currently we are struggling to do the former.
The aim of this new system is to create a better method for generating reports for management while giving developers the needed information to do their jobs. But the main point is to have the system be relatively self maintaining and scalable.
I have done some research on releases, components, epics and labels but I am struggling to figure out which heads should belong under what tool.
Here is my current proposed system, which isn't set in stone;
Releases (features)
Security
Registration
Push notifications
UI/UX design
Testing
etc.
Components (point of management)
Project manager
Epics (platform)
Web
App
CRM
Labels (area)
MVP
Not MVP
Frontend
Backend
Could anyone please share with me their experiences of managing Jira and generating reports? What systems have worked out well and why? Feel free to pick apart my above proposal.
Thanks in advance!