I need to show how long issues are worked within a few projects. I created a filter that shows all data needed except when the developer began work on an issue. I only need expose the date the status became 'In Progress' for each issue. The Resolved date was available in the Columns dropdown. The created date does not give the actual start date.
Any help is appreciated!
I think one of the reporting weaknesses in JIRA is that there's really nothing that can tell you about the date/times of status changes. The information is recorded in the data that is the issue history, and you can see it in there for any individual issue, but there's nothing that reports on it for a collection of issues.On server JIRA, I'd add the Script Runner add-on and then use it to create a simple custom field that shows the date/time of the transition I was interested in. You can do something similar with a date/time field on Cloud that the Scripr Runner for Cloud can populate (it's not the same as a Server scripted field, but it will do the job)
Thanks Nic. I was hoping I was missing something obvious. Our department moved to JIRA on my recommendation but apparently I overlooked this crucial aspect. Everything else has been so intuitive that I thought I must be overlooking something. I will look into Script Runner for Cloud.
At a basic level this is inconsequential. However, every time a customer has come to me with this use-case they've presented unique needs that didn't align with other customer needs. I think this is a challenging use-case because it doesn't work well out-of-the-box. A basic implementation uses logic and out-of-the-box custom fields. Let's work this out here on Answers.
Before continuing, let's dissect the behavior of the system fields.
Now, we have several transitions or actions that we need to record time-of-action for –
image2017-1-1 14:48:56.png
We can capture this data in Date/Time Custom Fields, so we might want to create all the fields we need to for a given workflow.
Using a transition post-function such as Update Issue Custom Field, we can set the date/time fields to "current time" when a transition is committed.
The raw dates are available for query and are reportable. Visually our data is in a format like so –
image2017-1-1 15:3:40.pngimage2017-1-1 15:6:35.png
Lackluster? Sure! But I think it get's the job done remarkably easily. This might be more efficient to implement as a listener, for ScriptRunner customers.
Hi Steven - I am trying to implement your answer and getting stuck between creating the custom fields and making them available as a Update Issue Custom Field selection in the Issue Field: dropdown. I am very new to JIRA and still sorting out the whole screen/scheme associations.Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.25.03 PM.png
That post-function only sets system fields, you need to use the "update custom field" post-function Steven mentions.
I only see Update Issue Field as an option.
Hello There Can I attach the current status of the issue in each comment made on it ??
With scripting, yes. But that would make the comments polluted and long.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.