We have purchased Jira Cloud for the entire company to use. Until now we have created projects based on either departments or cross-functional teams, when the need has arisen. But now we wish to gather all divisions, departments and teams in Jira in a structure that is sustainable in the long term.
My aim is to set-up our organisation with divisions (with their departments and teams). As I understand it, Jira does not support hierarchy set-up (according to posts I read). So what stumps me is how I can create a structure that reflects the organisational structure.
We have 4 divisions: Finance, HR, Marketing and Research.
- Finance division has 1 department (and a few additional employees not in these departments, they report directly to the division manager).
- HR division has no departments, just a few employees
- Marketing division has 4 departments (and a few additional employees not in these departments, they report directly to the division manager)
- Research division har 4 departments (and a few additional employees not in these departments, they report directly to the division manager)
There are several cross-functional teams and projects with members from different divisions and departments.
I would like to achieve the following in Jira:
That roadmaps and boards can be viewed as an entire organisation, per division, or as individual departments or projects/teams. Perhaps with a filter view?
I would like teams and projects to be able to assign tasks to each other.
In the future, we would like there to be one high-level backlog for the entire company, hierarchy one level above divisionen (senior management/strategic level)
Different teams and departments have very different maturity levels in using Jira and agil methods - so I do not wish to create a too rigid set-up that is exactly the same for everyone (eg. all will not use Scrum and sprints). Therefore I have looked more at using standard projects, rather than the company project set-up (which has a more "global" set-up).
We use basic set-up, no customised fields as of yet.
I have experimented with creating a project for the Marketing division, creating epics for an overall roadmap - and using tags for each department. This way I have achieved a roadmap for the Marketing division, which I can filter the viewing per department if I wish. But I have a nagging feeling that maybe each department (and team, project) should have it's own project set-up - but how would I group these under one division?