Based upon everything I have read in order to make a field viewable but not editable, all you need to do is remove it from the edit screen and keep it on the view screen.
When I go into the old view it works as expected. Seems like a regression issue in the new view?
References:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-lock-a-field-in-Jira-Cloud/qaq-p/1698333
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-we-lock-jira-Custom-field/qaq-p/1219988#:~:text=JIRA%20doesn't%20allow%20you,able%20to%20change%20the%20field.
Based upon my testing in jira cloud, this functionality no longer works
The answer I got from atlassian is that this is a bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76349
@Jeffrey Bistrong
In the case of Cloud, if the field is only on the "View" screen, it will be visible to you in Jira when it has a value filled in.
So if you have an automation or flow rule that fills in this field that is only on the preview screen, when it has a value, it will be available to you where you expect it to be.
@Fernando Eugênio da Silva thanks for the suggestion but not quite what I am looking for.
I just want the field to not be editable period, but remain on the view screen. If the field is filled out, I don't want anyone to be able to edit it. It seems I cannot accomplish this in the new view, and it works fine in the old view.
For that case, you must make these Issue Layout changes.Go to Project Settings;Issue Layout;Drag the field you want to the "Description Fields" section.
They will assume the position in the middle part of the screen and will be displayed even if they are empty.
Hi Fernando, this has nothing to do with whether or not the fields are empty. This has to do with preventing the fields from being editable (regardless of whether or not the field has data in it)
If the field has no data in it, it should NOT be editable
If the field has data in it, it should NOT be editable
Essentially I want a read only field on my ticket, (field should be viewable but not editable)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.