Can I get it explained in simple terms and steps how to set up Features, Epic , Stories?WE have a project that needs a level above epic
Hello @Trena Norcia
Are you working with a Standard or Premium Jira Cloud subscription?
It is only with the Jira Cloud Premium subscription that the Advanced Roadmaps feature is available. The Advanced Roadmaps feature is required in order to use native Jira functionality to extend the issue hierarchy above the Epic level and have Jira inherently recognize parent/child relationships between that higher level and Epics.
If you do not have the Premium subscription you have these choices:
1. Upgrade to the Premium subscription.
2. Buy a third party app that will allow you to extend the issue hierarchy. There are several available from the Atlassian Marketplace.
3. Create a custom issue type for Features and use the generic issue linking functionality native to Jira. But in this case Jira will not inherently recognize a parent/child relationship between the Features and Epics.
Hi @Trena Norcia
I'd just add to Trudy's answer a potential workaround if you'd prefer not to upgrade or purchase add-ons. If you're managing a Company-managed project, you might find lots of great recommendations on how to customise your issue hierarchy here: Rename ‘epics’ in your company-managed projects If you're on a Team-managed project, you can also try renaming Epic to Feature, and add a custom "Epic" as a new standard-issue type.
Of course, there are certain caveats to this approach. The most significant one is that you won't be able to fully see the issues in your backlog.
It would look like this:
- Epic panel is now shown as Features
- You can only see the tasks under your new Epic issue type when you open the issue detail view
- However, on the scrum board, you can set the view to group issues by Subtask, then you'll be able to see the issues inside your Epic
Do give it a try and I hope you'll be able to achieve the ideal project setup. If that's not what you're looking for, then I'd suggest trialling a Marketplace app.
I work at Adaptavist and we're the maker of Hierarchy for Jira, an app that allows you to create custom hierarchy through parent-child issue linking. With that, you can visualise your project in a data tree structure, monitor story points progress and time tracking, all in one place. I hope you're open to trying our app and if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!
Cheers,
Linh Pham from Adaptavist
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.