As you can tell by the question, I am 'very' new here.
I am not asking this question without actually attempting/reading articles. My confusion comes directly from docs.getxray, specifically https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY/Test+Runs
The document categorically states "To execute a Test from a Test issue", and provides steps and screenshots.
Step 1: Open the Test you wish to run.
From a Test Issue (being the test I want to run) there is no Play button as in the screen shot. My Test Issue looks nothing like the screenshot. The screenshot clearly shows three Test Runs; CALC-8, CALC-10, CALC-9. Surely this means that the test has already been run, and is therefore not an instruction how to run a test?
Execute Test Inline states that the option must be enabled in the XRay administration page. Isn't that what Execute Test is attempting to illustrate prior to this, again, "To execute a Test from a Test issue"??
NOTE: Xray Settings > Miscellaneous > Inline execute tests IS selected within my Team Managed project.
>>> At this stage, I have played with the Test Execution Issue (which is mapped to Test Execution within xray settings). Having selected an Ad-hoc run and a Test Set, I believe a Test Execution issue is created from which I run the tests.
When I view Test Runs within a test, I believe I am presented with the instances that have been executed from Test Execution.
Although the concept of creating a Test Set AND a Test Execution is alien to me (isn't a Test Execution effectively a Test Set?), I believe this is what I want ...I would never want to run a test from 'itself', as this implies it would record a result against its own instance, which would be applied to any new Test Set/Execution to which the test is added.
I believe Test Instances are only an Xray feature, and nothing to do with native Jira Issues. If this is correct, it makes sense to me that the instances are separate entities, which I believe are associated with a Test Execution.
Perhaps it is just the way my organisation has chosen to set things up, but If my attained knowledge so far is correct, it appears that the xray doc is very badly written, or at least, badly formatted, resulting in total confusion.
In summary, isn't it the case that a Test (xray) can only be run from a Test Execution (issue, as mapped in settings)?
NB Accepting that a prior Test Run/Execution can be identified (and re-run), within a Test issue.
>>> I suspect my observations are correct, as the document actually starts with a subtle statement "A Test Run (sometimes simply referred to as a "run") occurs when a Test is scheduled to execute within a Test Execution. Therefore, each time you run a Test, you're, in fact, running a Test Run."
If the answer to my question is a simple 'yes', then the documented Actions, Run a Test should be providing instructions to create a Test Execution (Ad-Hoc, Test Set etc). Once this is done, then you can use a Test isssue to run a test, if you 'open the test' and select Test Runs.