Hi,
I am just starting my journey with Jira, after many years with Test Director through to ALM.
As a 'so called/dare I say' power user of ALM Quality Centre, it is quite a shock logging into Jira. I believe Xray is the chosen method for me to write test cases with Steps.
I have found that I can create a folder structure within the Testing Board, which has a top level Test Repository. GREAT .... I think ...
I am getting the impression that this is 'just another view' of the issues that are created on the Kanban board used within the project??????
My point being, I need a repository for my tests, from which I can 'collect' relevant tests and add them to a/any Test Set when I need them. In my opinion/experience, this is exactly what a repository is "a place or receptacle in which things are or may be stored/a central location in which data is stored and managed.".
My perceived problem is that when I create a test within a directory, it is immediately shown in the Kanban board under Backlog, as are my Preconditions and Test Sets. If I delete anything from the Backlog, it is deleted from the Repository/Testing Board. This indicates that the issue on Kanban is the one and only instance within the Repository, ie if I were to run the test, it would complete with a status, and I wouldn't be able to use it within another test set, which may have a completely different purpose.
Unfortunately, my organisation is too tightly controlled, and so I can't get to XRay settings (as I am used to within an ALM domain). Can someone tell me if the experience I have is a fundamental limitation of Jira/Xray, or could it be the way in which someone has chosen to implement this projects Xray settings?
Many thanks