Atlassian (and others) have said "Estimates are often used for measuring the size of a backlog and calculating velocity. Tracking is often the burndown of hours used during the sprint. This helps make sure a team are on track to complete the stories during the sprint period.
It’s common for teams to estimate tasks in story points, then track those tasks using hours. "
I apologize for the simple statement, but how does a story point have any relevance?
For example, someone adds 4 points to an issue and someone else adds 10 points to a different issue, and they both got done in a sprint. How do I know which was on track and which was off? Were they both completed on time? Is the only time metric of interest the sprint?
I just don't understand the value of story points.
This ties into my lack of understanding of the value of a story to begin with. Why are we using stories and not issue types like enhancement, feature, etc? Isn't story just a vague catch-all for any kind of work? How do we search for issues based on the kind of work performed?