I've used jira for a while and have recently setup a team-managed project. I've run into some quite baffling/frustrating issues:
- I map a status to a column, but then they seem to work completely independently of each other. Eg: I change a status but it doesn't move column, and vice versa. What is the point of mapping a status to a column if they don't have to match up?
- A status can only be mapped to one column. But for a status like "In Progress", I have more than one column. Eg: I have columns for "In Progress", "Testing", and "QA". These are all for In Progress issues, but I can't map that status to all columns. Why??
- When I setup columns/statuses, I get the option in the dropdown on an issue to "Transition to" another status. However, if I want to use automation rules to move the ticket to another column, it won't work for this transition. I have to actually make another custom transition for the automation to work. But then the dropdown has two transitions for the same move. This just become confusing and cluttered. Also when dragging between columns on the board, I get multiple "drop zones" for the same status. Why?
What am I missing with respect to columns and statuses? They would appear to do/be the same thing. But I find them utterly non-intuitive.