Hi there,
My team and I are new to Jira, although I am aware it is used by other departments within our organisation (hence me opting to utilise it), and I'm hoping to find some advice to best utilise it. We are the knowledge base team in a large financial services company, with our main customer being the frontline service teams. I'm the manager and have a team of 5 writers reporting to me. We look after a KB platform of around 2,000 articles (and growing) covering all elements of Operations - product, processes, troubleshooting etc.
Inputs into my team generally fall under two categories - BAU or project. BAU work is typically ongoing maintenance of existing articles and responding to feedback (usually a simple, transactional piece of work). Projects are where we support new products, new training needs, or new processes etc that require new content creating on the knowledge base (and can be major pieces of work resulting in many new articles). My team of 5 are aligned to different business areas and act as the contact for that area for any knowledge requirements.
As their manager, it's important for me to have good oversight of their current and planned workloads, as well as seeing how we're doing from a capacity perspective - hence Jira. I want to be able to see what's on our upcoming plan, and be able to prioritise new incoming work accordingly.
My main question initially I suppose is around the best set up for this kind of team, work structure, and requirement for my oversight as the team manager?
- Should I be thinking of a 'project' in Jira as each of the projects my team takes on, with perhaps an additional one to handle 'bau' work? OR
- for us, should there be a 'project' in Jira for each of my team members, with all of the work they complete fitting underneath it? This would, I assume, utilise 'epics' as higher level projects with various subtasks within each?
Any advice much appreciated!