I have already made many epics in my project. Now when I try to make an Epic I can't create it because it says the 'Epic Name' is missing. This field is not visible in the creation window and there is not an option to add it under 'Show Fields'. I tried cloning a previous epic and editing the details but I can't change the Epic name to what I now need. If it is necessary to name the epic why is it even a possibility to remove it from the configuration field. It does not make any sense.
What is going on?
Are you an administrator? If so please go to project settings > screens and find your screen scheme. Click the pencil to edit the scheme. You will need to add Epic name to your Epic create scheme. Note if this is a shared scheme it is possible that someone removed the Epic name for a reason.
This actually looks like you are not creating an Epic.
In your "Show fields", note the option for the "Epic Link". This field cannot be filled for Epics, but can be shown in the field list. But if you were creating an Epic, then you should see "Epic Name" next to it, and when you are in the create window, you would see a warning about the link not being valid.
Epic Name does not appear for non-Epic issues.
So, I'd like you to check over all the fields on offer in the create screen. When issue type is set to Epic, do you see either of these?
-----
Epic Link
An epic cannot have another epic linked to it.
Choose an epic to assign this issue to.
----
Epic name*
How am I not creating an Epic if the issue type selected in my screenshot is 'Epic?' Am I missing something?
It is possible to rename Epic to something-else, and then create a new Epic issue type that looks the same. This breaks everything because the new Epic type is just an issue type, it does not have any of the functionality that the something-else still has.
The Epic name field is hard coded to only appear on the one "true" Epic issue type and will never appear on any other type.
Where you took the "show fields" screenshot, you were looking at an issue type that is not a true Epic. If it were an Epic, it would be showing the Epic name as well as the link.
A further test of this - go to the create screen again and look for "epic link" in the fields on offer - what does that look like?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.