I'm still moderately new (less than a week with jira), but have spend a substantial amount of my past days with learning. My current setup is company-managed, scrum.
I can look over some menus not being the easiest to navigate, or some details with selection/deselection, and even the occasional "whoops something went wrong"-crash (I stopped counting - they either don't persist, or I can immediately tell what caused it). However, for some oddities with the main focus of attention, the board, I wonder, if I didn't just miss something? The following are my observations:
- The only way to add an icon to a card is by abusing the site-global and unique "priority" field. There, you can specify generic URLs for the icon images, and it will neatly show on your card. However, you can't have a second, and need a transparent pixel for when it shouldn't be there (which still displays a tooltip, but oh well, that adds "priority" for whatever reason anyways, therefore is already weird).
- Three extra fields can be displayed, but only as plain text, without any style, format, or graphic. Each one always needs an extra line, displaying a ridiculously ugly "none", in case there is no information, bloating the card.
- Swimlanes for stories hides all extra information from the story itself
- While normal labels don't have color (where it might be useful), epic labels must have (background-)color, are very centered on cards, and therefore stand out more than issue titles themselves. I had to deactivate them for this reason (the option at least existed, although being imho hidden in the weird location, instead of "card layout", where i would have expected it).
Is this how it is right now? Is jira cloud just still very new, and things frequently change? With less than a week to go by, i can't tell.
PS: I know i can show one color on a card, based on a JQL. That's a helpful indicator, which can be used for anything, and is very welcome.