Hello, I am quite new to Jira and Atlassian in general, having done most of my project scheduling and tracking on MS Project over the years. I notice some things are done very differently, e.g.
JIRA and Gantt Cloud calculates the percentage completion of any task based on the work log. The side-effect is that I cannot find a way to update the project and keep baselines intact. e.g. have a look at the attached Gantt for a hypothetical project, particularly the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tasks.
So today is the 30th of January. I have a task NIPTIMS-9 that should have finished a couple of weeks ago but will slip for another couple of weeks (an extreme example I know). The problem is that even if I have a blocking relationship with subsequent tasks that they will still be marked as starting as soon as the estimate runs out, e.g. NIPT-30 starts weeks too early. This was easy to do in MS Project as one could mark a percentage complete for a task and recalculate. The only ways to emulate this in Gantt Cloud AFAIK is to keep increasing the "Remaining Time" in the task to extend the end date, but that completely messes up the estimate reports. Another way would be to move the start date of a task, but then we lose baselining information.
I'm sure it's just my understanding of the system that is at fault and that I am missing something quite basic. Would greatly appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the issue.Baselining.jpg