We have some "umbrella" parent issues with per-platform child issues. The developers and QA would like to see the description (which is mostly in the parent ticket) without having to refer to the parent ticket, and I would like to keep the platform independent part of the description in sync in a single place.
What I tried:
1) First I tried just putting this at the top of one of the child tickets:
*Platform independent criteria from parent ticket*
{{issue.parent.description}}
When I looked at the actual JSON, it was getting escaped by the editor to: \{\\{issue.parent.description}}
I could not figure out a way to "unescape" my mustache in the editor.
2) Create an Automation Rule. I started small by creating a rule when my test ticket's description changes, Edit the issue and set the Description as follows:
START AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION, DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE
*From Parent ticket*
{{issue.parent.description}}
END AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION
{{issue.description.remove(issue.description.match("START AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION.*END AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION"))}}
The rule just resulted in prefixing a copies of the literal text:
"START AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION, DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE
*From Parent ticket*
END AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED SECTION"
to the description each time I made a small change.