Capacity, Velocity, Story Points, remaining hours, a bit of a pandoras box here ... but I wanted to see if anyone within the community had determined a way to track individual velocity (I understand that scrum teams use team velocity but I don't work on a pure scrum team and I don't know many other that do either)?
My hope here is how to best determine a team velocity based on whether a devs/QA is available for a given sprint (the team members fluctuate often). This is not a question about scrum best practice, just Jira how-to.
Here is what i am currently doing ... any suggestions?
Process: Once in a sprint, STOIRES do not change assignees, 1 stroy = 1 assignee. And the same goes for subtasks, 1 subtask = 1 assignee. Dev, QA, and UAT are handled through subtasks on a given story.
Boards / Filters:
- Team Related metrics
- 1 filter/board I use for Story Points which are recorded on Stories
- This produces a burndown for team story points
- 1 filter/board I use for Hours burndown which are recorded on subtasks
- This produces a burndown for remaining hours / hours spent
- Individual metrics
- 1 filters per assignee within the active sprint
- 1 Board created for each filter to be able to use this Board in a Dashboard for a burndown chart
- This board i can change to provide me either the hours or story points burndown for each Dev
The goal here is to track progress within a sprint as well as determine an individuals velocity. The next sprint may not consist of all the same developers and this individual velocity combined with overall team capacity helps determine what is or isn’t enough work for the team.