Hi,
We do have in Jira Theme-->Epic-->Stories
I want to build a JQL to show all issues within Theme.
Nevertheless, JQL doesn't recognize the "theme" syntax at all!!
Please advise what can be done.
Thanks
Hi, @Arevik Hakobyan - Jira Cloud doesn't natively support any hierarchy above Epic. If you have a level above, it means one of two things: you have the Premium plan, which gives you access to Plans (Advanced Roadmaps), or you have a third-party plugin like Structure that's allowing this.
Even if you have premium, there's still unfortunately no easy way to do this with JQL, because every system is different - Jira doesn't know that Theme is a parent. However, if you're using the Parent Link field on your tickets to link your Epics to a Theme, you can search for all tickets where the Parent ID matches your theme ID. If, for example you have a theme ticket with the issue ID of TOP-1998, you could use
"Parent Link" = TOP-1998
to find all tickets that are direct children of that ticket. It will not get you multiple levels (i.e. it will find the epics, but not any children of the epics, like stories). You also can't really use it to get any tickets that are attached to any theme, although if you were guaranteed that only Epics have the Parent Link field, and they can only be children of Themes, you could use
"Parent Link" is not empty
The better way to see this kind of hierarchy would be to actually create a Plan that pulls all projects you want to see and set the view options to display Theme to Story (or down to subtask if you want.)
If you're using a third-party extension to allow a level above Epic, you'd need to check the documentation for the plugin to see if they've done anything to allow searching. It's unlikely, though - custom search modifications are not as easy to do in Cloud as they were in Server, so many extensions don't include anything.
Hi @Arevik Hakobyan,
Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions
After you install the app, you can simply search:
issue in childrenOfIssuesInQueryRecursive("key in (THEME-1, THEME-2, THEME-3)") and type=Story and status="To do"
Check out the documentation for more examples.
I hope this helps!Daniel
hi @Esther Strom thanks for the prompt reply!
Exactly, we use Jira Premium, where we have a Theme as a parent to Epic
And I want to retrieve all stories within a certain Themes with a certain status, which, as far as I understood is not possible.
So currently I have to mention all Epics under the Theme to have the right JQL, but the downside of which is, when the Epics will be misplaced from one epic to another, I would have to be cautious and update the JQL.
Also we do have advanced roadmaps and have the exact view you showed. But I need JQL for other reasons, for another add on to show the stories that we want on the portal
I think you should be able to get all epics within a group of themes that are in a certain status by doing this:
"Parent Link" in (TOP-123, TOP-456, TOP-789) and status = "In Progress"
If you need multiple statuses, you can use the same "in" format there as well.
"Parent Link" in (TOP-123, TOP-456, TOP-789) and status in ("In Progress", "In Testing")
hi @Daniel Turczanski - JQL Search Extensions thanks! I looked through the add on.
Hi @Arevik Hakobyan feel free to get in touch and I can show you how the app can solve your problems and help you to decide if you need the app at all. Thanks!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.