Greetings migration experts!
TLDR - how can I import comments from fresh desk into the appropriate JSM tickets while maintaining Author date and public/private properties?
Details...
I have been struggling with migrating one of my support teams out of fresh desk and onto our Jira service management instance. Freshdesk (FD) makes it very challenging to migrate data. However I've made it through most hurtles at this point with really one last Challenge that I'm hoping someone may have some ideas on. Specifically what I need to do is import all of the notes/comments from FD. Below is where I currently stand.
Option 1 - CSV Import
I have been playing with importing the comments subsequent to importing the issues themselves. This is because I have been unable to find a means of exporting the comments along with the issues in a clean manner. So the import looks something like this:
- Create an export for all fresh desk issues starting with the archive first
- Massage the CSV file to align with my needs of import.
- Import the issues using the CSV importer into my JSM project. Note my import file includes the FD ticket number which is recorded into a custom field.
- Create an export of all issues imported with just the issue key, summary, and FD ticket #
- Create an export for all FD comments associated with the previous issues exported.
- Using excel VLOOKUP I can take the two files (steps #4 & #5) and map the Jira issue key to the appropriate comments.
- Using the results from step 6, import the comments
Findings
According to the documentation, the following format should be used to import comments.
"01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works"
- I was able to successfully do this if I use the GDPR compliant Account ID. However I have as yet been able to use the users email address. Well it likely will be feasible to export all users and then use that data to map the email to the Account ID it will be extremely painful. I currently have a support ticket open inquiring about the end ability to use the users email address. Update - the inability to use the users email is a known bug (MIG-842) and I do not expect this bug to get addressed TBH.
- The really horrible limitation of a CSV import for JSM projects is captured in the following documentation snippet.
If your CSV file consists of Jira Service Management projects with comments and is mapped to the Comments body in the Jira fields column, all the comments from your import file will become public after the CSV import.
YIKES! This simply will not do. Obviously this would allow customers to see all internal comments. So I decided to turn to the APIs...
Option 1 - APIs
I decided to take a look at the APIs to determine if I could use them to create comments and was initially please that there was the option to do so. Moreover it allows you to select what is the comment was public or not. YAY!
My excitement eventually diminished. What I found was that I was unable to designate the author of the comment. The comment would always be made by the user associated with the API. I found the following open suggestion in JAC which is been open since 2013 so I don't suspect we're gonna see resolution on that.
JRACLOUD-35124 - Add a comment via REST API on behalf of another user
Any input or assistance would be most appreciated.