I am using Jira Service Management. In project settings-> Summary, Default Assignee: Unassigned under Roles. How can I set a team member or Project Lead to be the default assignee?
Hi @Gordon Fang and welcome!
Did you try to add any person on the field Default Assignee on your project's details? You can always start typing his/her name to find it quicker.
@Gordon Fang -
Welcome to the community.
In Project Settings, go to "Users and Roles">>"Edit Default", you will be able to set the default assignee to Project Lead.
NOTE - User used set for project lead should typically a member of your project's Administrators role + he or she should also are part of Service Desk Team members (meaning he/she has an agent license).
Hope this help
Best, Joseph Chung Yin
Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team
Viasat Inc.
I am using JSM free version and could not find Edit Default in Project Settings. different version maybe?
As far I can see on Jira Server you can ONLY set the Project Lead role as default assignee or else 'Unassigned'.
Hi @Joseph Chung Yin Your answer is wrong according to my testing. For a Jira Service Management project the only options under
Projects / <project > / Project settings
for field 'Default Assignee' are:
1. Project Lead
2. Unassigned
i.e. you CANNOT specify another user to be the default assignee.
Or have I missed something ?
Hi @Alex Koxaras -Relational- Your answer is wrong according to my testing. For a Jira Service Management project the only options under
@Michael Green -
It was my missed on the old reply as I was referring to Jira On-prems by mistake. For JSM Cloud - via Project settings > Details this is where you can assign project lead and set the default assignee to the project lead.
Here are a few ways to to set default issue assignee (I assumed you already are aware of them):
1) Customize the WF using post function calls to set issue assignee at issue creation process.
2) Create Automation for Jira rule to set issue assignee where the rule is triggered on issue created event.
3) Implement Components setup for the project in question, where you can set issue assignee based on project default, project lead, component lead, or leave unassigned.
Hope this helps.
Best, Joseph
Hi @Michael Green
No, my answer was correct
First of all, Gordon's question was about setting a default assignee. Well, you do that from project settings > details:
As you have clearly saw on your own, there are only two selections:
If you set the default assignee to project lead, then you can choose any default assignee you want, by changing the default assignee field. Is it now any clearer?
Let me know!
Regards,Alex
I also only have the option of Project Lead or Unassigned when I edit the Default Assignee field in our project. Typing in a name of someone else who is on the project does not populate anything.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.