Can an automation action be triggered when an issue is "viewed", not edited?
I want to have a custom field be the sum of two other fields without any trigger conditions.
Hi Steve,
No, you can't trigger it when just viewed - nor do I think that you really want that.
You can create a manual trigger that when you go to the issue, you can trigger it by clicking on the rule execution then.
Is that what you are looking for?
Hi @Steve Hooczko
What is your concern about "without any trigger conditions"?
Have you instead considered using automation rules to update the custom field whenever the source fields change...and so those would be the triggers? Then the custom field would only refresh when necessary.
Kind regards,Bill
Good call
I also wanted this to take affect for issues (i.e. the 2 custom fields) that have already been updated.
OK, you answered my main question re: not being able to trigger on viewing. The manual trigger is an option. Once the manual trigger is executed the summation field will contain the sum thereafter, correct?
Correct
Thanks for clarifying!
I encountered a similar situation when we added a rule to calculate Age of WIP, and my work-around was to create a one-time rule to batch process the earlier issues (using a scheduled trigger). It needed to run in "chunks" as there were more than 100 issues to process...which is the automation limit for a rule.
Once everything was caught up, I was able to disable/remove that rule.
Hi @John Funk are you aware if any of the scripting tools such as Scriptrunner can trigger an action when an issue is viewed ?
I want to be able to see which of my issues have changes/comments that i have not viewed yet without opening each one to look for changes. This would be similar to the way outlook highlights unread email messages.
Best regards -- Kevin
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.