I'm evaluating Jira as a replacement for our current issue-tracking system. If we do switch to Jira we would want to port our existing issue database to Jira without having to manually re-enter thousands of issue. Is there a database converter utility available?
No, being finicky about language here, I would say that there are no database converters left. Even the old plugins (apps) which were able to directly connect to another system's database and hoover the data out into a Jira format were far better described as "Importers" rather than "database converters"
But, yes, there are some importers. Other Jira, CSV, Trello and JSON are the four I can remember are automatically available on Cloud, but there are apps that add more (see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=import )
The more long-in-the-tooth here might also look at intermediate steps. I have done things like "fire up a Jira server old enough to have database importers for legacy systems, import from Redmine/Bugzilla/Fogbugz/etc, upgrade to latest Jira version, migrate it to Cloud". Hard work, but often better than trying to extract the raw data and convert it to a format Cloud Jira can import well.
Nic:
Thanks for the response. We're on ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus and I'm evaluating Jira via the Free version to have a Kanban board. I'm migrating one of our software teams from ticket-based to Kanban. I've used Jira in the past and it's quite well suited to our current/future needs/direction. Trying to get enough details in place to present to management for the decision.
I will check with our ServiceDesk administrator to find out about database export & formats.
Really appreciate your time/interest to provide info.
Oh, ManageEngine is not one I have worked with before, so yes, my third instinct is to look at the export options. The second is to see if any of the ME docs mention Jira (or Jira docs mention ME, but all I've found there is "what can it export that we could read")
First instinct is to poke people like @Liam Green who I know have worked with ME before and know a load more than I do.
@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- worked with is a strong term!
If I'm honest, when we made the move we decided that we weren't going to import most of it. What we did import I did through the Jira importer using csv and mapping the fields in Jira. ME did a full export for us though as back up.
My only real advice is to test, test and test again
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.