I have an entities.xml file from one site backup. Can this file be modified to remove projects that I do not want before importing into my new site?
In theory, yes, it can.
But. The xml is not structured by project, it's closer to the database layout. Removing a project from the xml is not just removing a block of xml. You'll need to remove a couple of bits from the project section, and some from the project configuration sections, and some from issues section, and quite a lot of separate pieces from each of the many custom field sections, and from the custom field config section, and from the notifications, and the issue history, and the comments and, and, and, and
Even a simple block of Jira XML will take you weeks to understand and edit a project out of without breaking it (and "being able to import it" is not the definition of "not broken" - that's "being able to import it and not have anything break", which is a much higher bar)
You will find it faster, easier, cheaper and safer to simply import the current file and delete the projects you don't want afterwards.
Thank you. I will import and then delete.
Please confirm that deleting the projects after importing into my new site will not affect the project in the current production site. I am hopeful it will not but proceeding with caution as this is my first time using the import and I do not want to mess anything up.
Ok, stop for a second - what import are you using here?
If it is a full site import, it will overwrite everything in your new site, everything will go. That's the import, not the delete. If your new site is "production", you will lose everything currently in it.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.