Some sub tasks seem to have the option to add another sub, but others don't. Any ideas why that is?
Is there an operation level max?
Epic>Story>sub task>sub task2>sub task3
OP1>OP2>OP3>OP4>OP5
I have never seen this before please share a screenshot of where you are seeing this so that I might be able to comment further.
I think my version of Jira only has 3 operation levels, so this isn't possible.
Seems very limiting when designing planning software
You are correct, Jira only has Issue and Sub-task. Jira Software layers Epics over Issues, but there's no sub-task of sub-task.
A desire for sub-task of sub-task is usually indicative of either wasteful micromanagement, or that you've started your planning at too high a level - look at moving stories up, as they're probably really Epics.
You can get apps to do sub-task of sub-tasks though - specifically, look for Structure, it's the only one I've used for this sort of thing.
Hi, @Elizabeth Sangers. You can find Structure on the Atlassian Marketplace if you want to have a look.
Structure was originally created because of a popular Jira enhancement request from someone who was looking for sub-tasks of sub-tasks.
Hope this helps,
-dave [ALM Works]
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.