I want to paste in an error message and make it monospaced and surrounded by a gray block. In the old editor, we did this with "{noformat}" or "{{ }}" but those don't work anymore. The formatting/markdown guide for the new editor says to use single quotes (`) around the text, which works for a single line of text, but when I paste in a large block like an error message or stacktrace, it does nothing. Here's an example of what I want to happen, which this editor ironically supports:
Exception in thread <span>"main"</span> java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.example.myproject.Book.getTitle(Book.java:<span>16</span>)
at com.example.myproject.Author.getBookTitles(Author.java:<span>25</span>)
at com.example.myproject.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:<span>14</span>) But in the new Jira editor, if I choose "insert code block" it numbers the lines and then doesn't respect the line breaks. If I use "code" from the formatting menu, it respects line breaks but puts white space between each line:

Why doesn't the single-quote option work to monospace a multi-line plain text snippet?