Hello Everyone,
We want to import the data from our legacy issue tracker into Jira Software (Cloud) and we are currently experimenting with the CSV import tool. While the tool seems to work well and satisfy most of our requirements, I am having trouble importing attachments.
I know that the attachment field in the CSV can use an (external) http:// or https:// URL to retrieve the file from, but that would require (1) setting up a web server and uploading the files and (2) making the content publicly accessible, so that the Jira Cloud instance can access it. The former means extra work and the latter is downright unacceptable, since the contents of the attachments is confidential and that would violate the company policies.
It appears that the CSV import tool also supports file:// URLs, but that's not well documented. I noticed (by trial and error) that all paths following file:// are considered relative to /data/jirastudio/jira/home/import/attachments. Is there a way to upload content to that location in the Jira Cloud instance? For example through the Restore/Import tool?
I already tried to use "Restore system"/"Import media" and upload a zip file with an "import/attachments/" path inside, but that didn't work. I'm assuming the zip file is extracted somewhere other than /data/jirastudio/jira/home.
I also looked at the REST API as an option to upload attachments, but it doesn't seem to support specifying a different user and time, so the attachments are always created as the authenticated user and with the current time (the time when the API is called). Obviously, this is not suitable for importing historical data from a different system.
Thanks,
Radu