I use VS-Code extension and I read every single word in this guide and could not find what I was looking for, I would like to view a Jira task/bug and see the commits that solved it, is that possible?
Hi Offir,
That guide you cited is intended to help you create a Jira issue from within the VS code extension. If you want to be able to see all the commits that relate to a Jira issue, then I suggest taking a closer look at View development information for an issue.
It explains in more detail how Jira can display development info, but there are some prerequisites that have to be met first. For example, the repo needs to be connected to that Jira instance. That is something that only a Jira Admin will be able to do. Next your account has to actually have permissions to be able to see the development panel, again this is something that a Jira admin might have to adjust depending on your Jira settings.
And lastly, in order to see related commits/branches/etc, those development pieces need to include the Jira issue key (e.g. ABC-321) either in the commit title, commit message, branch name, and so on in order for those to be visible from the Jira issue. More details on how this has to happen from the development side over in Reference issues in your development work. But provided those conditions are met, then when you are viewing an issue in Jira, you can then see specific commits that relate to that Jira issue.
Does this help answer your question? Please let me know if you have any followup concerns here.
Cheers,
Andy
Hi Andy,Thank you for your answer.In JIRA, under "Code" , I connected Bitbucket to JIRA, but I don't see any of my repositories there.After connecting Bitbucket to Jira I have a "development" section above the issue the details with "Create branch" option.I created a branch and saw it was created in my repository, then I added commit but I don't see that commit linked to the issue, I still have "Create branch" option and that's it.
In order to see those branches, commits, etc, you need to include the Jira issue key in the commit message or branch name. Reference issues in your development work explains this more in-depth. So that is the first thing to check. Does your branch name include the issue key?
Yes,Using the Atlassian extension I created a branch with the prefix of the issue: it looks something like this: "bugfix/VC-1843-description-of-the-bug".I also tried to create another branch from Jira issue using the "Development" -> "Create branch" option, made a pull request and saw the branch was created and added a commit to it with "VC-IssueNumber-some-bug", made another pull request and it still has the option "Create branch" without any commits related to it.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.