As simple as that. That's all I'm after.
From the online suggestions, processes and comments I've read that go back to 2012, 2015 and some more recent - some suggestions work for some but not for others.
Essentially, we have one new project that I'm creating about four or five new staff to access and that's it. No transitioning between other projects. No looking at other projects. No searching for other projects - just a new project, dump new users into project, job done.
Except I appear to alternate between denying the user even logging into JIRA to begin with (now solved) - to them still having the ability to snoop around.
It really can't be this convoluted, can it? It appears to me that the whole structure and ethos of the way JIRA assigns permissions is completely the wrong way around. It's like wanting to learn the alphabet and expecting to be given a bunch of 26 letters. JIRA's view of the world is that should you want to learn the alphabet, that you need to be aware of sentence syntax, grammatical pitfalls and maybe a solid understanding of active pronouns. None of which are remotely relevant until you get control of the basics.
Maybe I'm tired with it being a Friday afternoon - but I think if I click on an another JIRA administration screen that takes me down yet another completely irrelevant rabbit-hole, I think I may just punch a hole through my monitor.