For at least a decade, all the implementations of JIRA I have used have supported the text formatting notation documented here; https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all. You could enter the notation directly with a text editor while creating a new JIRA issue or adding a comment to existing JIRA. Atlassian, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to remove that support in their recent JIRA upgrade and now require users to use their clunky GUI editor to access the notation and dropped support for the noformat notation. In addition, the implementation is inconsistent with the text formatting notation available when creating an issue but not available when adding a comment. It is infinitely more efficient to create a table using the text editor of your choice and paste it into a comment than attempt to add it using the GUI editor.
Why does Atlassian frustrate a longterm JIRA user by removing useful features like noformat? With the change, I am resorting to the code tag to highlight data and I have given up adding tables to comments. I attach .csv files instead which is not a great solution because they now display as text in a popup window instead of automatically opening excel as the previous JIRA implementations did.
I'm giving the recent JIRA update a huge thumbs down and hope they resolve the lack of basic functionality quickly in the next update.