I have a hard time making sense of the estimate-relationship between stories and subtasks to make it visible and usable in the sprint/scrum backlog.
I simply don't understand why, when subtasks are added to a sprint, their estimates are ignored.
Hope someone can help give some inspiration and an explanation as to why it is logical that Jira is not showing the sum of subtasks estimate in the backlog?
In our workflow a story is usually the sum of its subtasks. Meaning the story is complete when all its subtasks are completed. The story is written in human language, and the subtasks are written for the developers.
We don't really estimate the story itself, as it usually represents no actual work other than meetings held to flesh out its subtasks.
An example would be:
- We create a story
- Create three subtasks with an estimate of 2 hours each
- Add the story to the sprint (all subtasks are automatically added to the sprint)
- Assign the subtasks to users
Now to what confuses me:
- Opening the parent story, it shows the sum of subtasks estimate to be 6 hours
- Jira backlog is showing the total hours estimated in the sprint to be 0 hours.
- It is showing the list of assignees in the sprint each have 0 hours workload.
- The Roadmap capacity planning IS taking subtask estimate into account and showing 6 hours allocated
I'm assuming I might be missing something, as the only real way to get around this, as I see it, is to set all subtasks to 0 hours estimate, and set the story estimate itself to 6 hours. But that quickly gets unreliable, if one is not super disciplined in always manually keeping track of the estimate of each subtask, and manually adding them up.
