Situation
I'll soon be migrating one project to another, to clean up the amount of projects we have in our current JIRA setup.
The project everything gets migrated to, already has a few boards, based on a filter that looks like this:
project = ASWR AND "IRD - Dev Team[Select List (multiple choices)]" = Polaris
There are two teams using the same backlog but only see their assigned tickets on their own boards with this filter. The migrated tickets will not have a dedicated team assigned, but can be identified by the labels field.
So my assumption was that adding the additional filter portion below to the already existing filter, would exclude these tickets.
AND labels != "java-service-upgrade"
Expected result
Since the original board filter returned 557 tickets, and there are no tickets yet with a 'java-service-upgrade' label in the project, that the amount of returned tickets remained the same.
Actual result
The result however was a drop in returned tickets to 335 tickets. Which of course was unexpected, at least for me.
Fix
After tinkering with the setup, I managed to get the desired result
project = ASWR AND "IRD - Dev Team[Select List (multiple choices)]" = Polaris AND (labels != "java-service-upgrade" OR labels is EMPTY) ORDER BY Rank ASC
Question:
It seems that the tickets without a label, also got excluded when I added the not. So I have it working for our purposes, but wonder why tickets with an EMPTY labels field were also excluded.