I'd like to create a Custom Field as Text Field but I don't know how it works. I mean, I wanna create a D.O.D. field with a fixed text non updatable. It appears as NONE. So how can I create this kind a field?
A read-only text field in Jira is what it says it is - people cannot put data in it, it is read only. If you want data in these, you have to do it with import or code (it really was created to do things like "hold the unique id for an issue when we are migrating from <insert name of weak issue tracker> to Jira, so people who have references in the old system can find it by the old id")
Forget that, it creates a load of junk in the database and you'll need code to populate it.
What you should do is add "message field for edit" fields. With these, you put some static text into the default value for them, and that gets put on screen when people use a screen where it is used. No database load, no coding, and you can write what you want.
Are you trying to create this field for a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?
How will a value get added to the field initially?
The text field (read only) can only be set programmatically, either via a post function, listener, Automation rule or any other apps that can set field values.
tks mikael...
Hi Nic, tks for your help... but it's exactly what I want: a read only field to highlight de D.O.R. and D.O.D. agreements... I mean set these fields with the agreements without allow the user to change these rules... does it work over automation rules???
tks trudy for your help...
2024 update: the custom field type "Text Field (read only)" is totally useless.
It is non-editable via web. But it is totally editable on the mobile app...
It means the field can't be modified by a user in the Jira web interface. It can be modified via default value, APIs, and/or automation.
Any solution for this ?
@Achmad Yuneda Alfajr ,
The only option I know of is to modify the Screen Scheme and remove the non-editable fields from the Edit Screen.
(this does not apply to "team managed" projects)
C.f.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.