It would be really useful to assign a few people to an issue as I see that a place to form a team for it. Please help.
Hi Thomas - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
No, you cannot assign an issue to multiple people in Jira - there can only be one person who is the assignee/owner of the issue.
So organization will use the Team field so more people have eyes on it or work concurrently.
Or you can create a new custom field that is a Group Picker type field or Multi-user Picker type field. Then you can add a group or multiple people to the custom field.
No and yes.
Assignee is the field that holds the single person responsible for the issue. It is never right to assign an issue to two people (well, one case, but it's actually irrelevant in that case). So assignee will not do it.
But you can indicate that other users might be involved or interested via fields that allow you to add more users - watchers might be used sometimes, but most of us reach for a custom field - a single or multi-user picker, or sometimes a group when that's appropriate.
Thanks John, can yo please explain how I create a new custom field so add multiple people
Sure - go to Settings > Issues > Custom Fields
Click on the Create custom field button in the upper right
Click on the All link on the left side
Then click on the User Picker (multiple users) option near the bottom (they are in alphabetical order).
Be sure to add any context needed for the field.
Thanks again John, that doesn't seem to be an option when I click on settings. I get this:-
Sorry to be a pain but any advice would be very gratefully received. Do you know if there is Jira guru I could speak over phone/video to help in general? Thanks again,
Tom
@John Funk Thank you for your solution. I've added the Group Picker type field so I can assign multiple people to a task.
Do you know how I can have this field appear under the "People" Column when I click on an issue? Much like how the Assignee field is readily available to be edited without having to click on "Edit" for an issue, I'd like the Group picker field to be there even if I haven't originally added multiple users when I originally created the issue.
Right now it only shows up if I have originally added multiple users
Hi - can you share a screenshot of exactly where you are talking? There are a lop of places that "people" appear in Jira.
Hi John,
I am not sure if this is what am looking for, but basically an issue needs to be sent to 2 people, and whenever one of these 2 people finishes their issue, they can move their issue to the next step.
is this something doable?
attaching a screenshot of the workflow
Thank you for your response.
@John Funk
Thanks for the answer, I actually worked, but my team does not receive the email when assign as with the single person responsible. Can you please advise how they can get the email notification?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.