in the old interface, I could paste a markdown table into the editor and have it convert to a table. In the new design I just get a blob of text, is this no longer supported or am I doing something wrong?
Hello @Mike Robinson,
Welcome to Atlassian Community!
On the old view, the editor was Wiki Markup, so the table format was different and it won’t work on the new view that uses Markdown.
The Markdown syntax for tables is the one below:
| Syntax | Description || ----------- | ----------- || Header | Title || Paragraph | Text |
You can add tables directly using the editor, but in case you need to use a template, you can use the Table Generator below that is suggested on the Markdown documentation:
If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.
Kind regards,Angélica
I know we can do that in the old view. But now we are forced to use the new jira issue view. How can we paste a markdown table or is this not support anymore?
@Guangyu Zhang It's _very_ picky about the table formatting, if your markdown does not match the formatting in the comment above it fails. I did get it working, but it still sometimes doesn't seem to work.
I recently found a bit of a workaround after running into the same issue. I just copied the table from the live preview editor that I use and pasted that into Jira. It formatted the table automatically. It has the be the actual preview code that gets copied, not the markdown.
I don't know why Jira had to stray from markdown and try to make their own version. I will be looking into other tools mostly due to that.
Hope this helps,
Tommy
There are 2 modes for jira description window and comment - Visual and Text. If you are trying to paste a table in text mode it cannot convert or format into table but if you select "Visual" mode at the bottom of description window - it can paste a table directly. Hope this helps!
This is a question about jira cloud, not jira server.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.