This is my first venture into using Kanban.
I am struggling to understand the relationship between Epic, Story and Tasks.
I thought it would work like this:
Epic - the master User Story that groups the individual user stories. Example: As the master database admin, I would like to have data standards across all fields in the item table.
User Story - Example: As the master dba, I would like to have a drop down list for item category field to allow the user to select only the values on the list.
Task - Example: Create a spreadsheet with the valid values and the definition of each value.
***confusion*** - It seems like I should be able to link the task above to the User Story but I am only able to link the task to the Epic. Am I missing a setting or is this the expected behavior? If I am missing a setting, where do I go to fix. If this is the expected behavior, what is the use case for the use story. It seems the tasks / user story relationship would get confusing.
I am confident I am missing something. 