I am editing the default Jira workflow and I added a new "On Hold" status, which at some point was assigned to the "default" status (when a ticket is created). I now would like to delete "On Hold" (changed the name to DELETE), or at least reconfigure the workflow so that tickets go to "To Do". However I get a number of errors, none of which are accurate, but nonetheless prevent me from changing anything.
First, I cannot change the "Create" transition to set a new task to "To Do" I get the following error.

Second, I cannot change the name of the DELETE status to To Do, it says that already exists, even when I have removed the To Do status from the board.
I literally just want to return to the most simple workflow Jira offers, but their own error system appears to be preventing this, any tips?