The new jira view has a shading at the top and bottom of the image when viewed. This hides the URL which is very important for reproduction/documentation. Is there a way to stop the image viewer from shading the picture?Click any image that is attached to a ticket and notice that the top and bottom are obscured.
Hello David,
Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!
Testing on my local site, I didn’t see much difference between the old and new issue view when viewing an image or another attachment.
It does show the shadow when the mouse pointer is over the image, but it shows the same information.
Can you please let us know more details about the URL that is hidden when viewing the image?
Old view:
New view:
We can create a feature request suggesting to remove this because currently, it’s not possible to disable it.
Kind regards,Angélica
@Angélica Luz Sorry for the delay!Yes, your second image shows the problem. The grayed out area at the top is typically covering the URL. We use the URL to identify pages being referenced. As you can see it is darker at the top of your second image and this darkness is what obscures the URL in many of the images we attach to tickets.Notice in the old view that there is no portion of the image that is obscured.
Hi David,
Thank you for the details.
It’s not possible to disable this preview. Depending on the type of the file, it will show this shadow on the top and bottom.
There is a feature suggesting improvements for that:
What I tested here that can be a workaround, is to open the developer tools on the browser, where it will be possible to have more control of the zoom.
When opening an image to preview it, right-click and select “Inspect”.
- https://share.getcloudapp.com/DOuDz5Qn
i vote to remove the 'feature'. Who decided obscuring part of an image arbitrarily was a good idea? a triumph of 'pretty' over 'usable'.
Yes, by all means, PLEASE get rid of that shadow! What was the reasoning behind obscuring part of a valuable image??
Another vote to remove the annoying top/bottom shading
I'm also here to bump/upvote the request to remove this shadow which obscures critical information.
Atlassian, the navigation controls and information labels shown over the image are in white. So it makes sense that the shadow serves as a helpful background for the controls and labels. Many of the users commenting here are frustrated when viewing images containing critical information at the top or bottom of the image, where the shadow obscures that information.
The frustration results mostly from moving the mouse over the image viewer. After the shadow appears, there's then a three-second delay waiting for it to disappear again. The shadow is a huge distraction from trying to read those important parts of the image. On top of that, the three-second wait is super frustrating. User have no control over the distraction or the cure.
Please forward these solution proposals on to your usability team. A frontend engineer should be able to implement all of these approaches in one afternoon. As is often the case, more time will be spent on planning, coordinating and testing the new behavior.
Note that these proposed solutions doesn't remedy the complaint from Joans Levin. One suggestion for his scenario would be to open the image in a new tab. In Chrome browser I see this feature in the right mouse click menu when clicking on the image. Hopefully this quick and easy workaround is helpful for Jonas, or a similar operation in whatever browser he's using.
Hi @Michael Poremba and everyone in this conversation! I believe all your points are more than fair, and noting that there hasn't been a feature request raised for this, I went ahead and created one: JRACLOUD-84617 - Remove shading from image previews
I added a synthesized version of your suggestions there, according to what I think are the most feasible and effective ones, but feel free to expand in the feature request by adding a comment of your own.
Hi. I do graphics, so it is super-annoying when my artwork all-of-a-sudden has gradients/shading when I submit it to my superiors. So..... Here is a solution: All you have to do is click on the top bar of your browser. OR, just wait a few seconds for it to disappear. It takes focus off the "active window" and removes the gradient. A simple, annoying solution for now. You just have to tell anyone you are submitting your work to: "I just finished my assignment. You can find it here (LINK). Just remember to click on the top of your browser bar for each image you view, OR keep your mouse completely motionless for a few seconds for each image you are looking at. And since I shared 20 images with you, all you have to do is wait 3 seconds times 20 images so it doesn't look inaccurate. That's a reasonable request, right?" Ahh"features". Gotta love 'em
JP
Perfectly reasonable request and great workarounds! It is funny when we try to do something with the best intentions (on any level of life) and turns out to be more inconvenient than helpful.
Since the best way we have to gather feedback for changes is through Suggestions/Feature requests, I went ahead and created:
JRACLOUD-84617 - Remove shading from image previews
Make sure to drop a vote (right side of the screen >Vote for this issue) and feel free to take your feedback and workarounds and also share them as a comment there!
Hi Rene
Thank you so much for that.
I have worked with software companies for decades, and I love your comment on "we try to do something with the best intentions". I have been there so many times. One suggestion I had for making the interface "more cool" on a piece of audio software, was by adding gradients here and there to the GUI. It did look cool. BUT... this made many people mad at me because it created eye-strain. Apparently the old clunky/chunky version was easier to see. This was just around the time every software company on the planet was going with a more neutral "clean look". I missed the mark on that one. Again...with the best intentions" haha
I sincerely appreciate your help
Have a great day!
Please remove this useless feature!
Please remove this!
Remember to add it into the feature request: JRACLOUD-84617 - Remove shading from image previews
Hi, @Samuel Thomas ! This is a community thread and although product managers do check them when making their assessment about changing behaviors, the usual initial point is a feature request/suggestion, which can be found here: JRACLOUD-84617 - Remove shading from image previews. Cast your vote in it and add your feedback in it!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.