Background Details:
- I've created an Initiative issuetype that is a parent in hierarchy to Epics.
- I'm using the Initiative to plan and track a broad collaborative effort that has child Epics and Tasks across multiple Jira Projects.
- I've created an Advanced Roadmaps Plan, based on a Board filter, that pulls all "children" of the Initiative (Epics and Tasks) across all Projects into one view.
With some configuration, all of the above has occurred successfully so far.
Now, as we endeavor to deliver incremental value, we have identified milestone slices that we want to work collaboratively together to rollout our product often. This seems like a perfect use for Cross-Project Releases (CPRs) but I'm experiencing some limitations that don't align with the documentation. I'm hoping this community can help me solve a way to organize tasks and stories across multiple Project into Release Versions, or CPRs, of delivery.
Note:
What is described at the bottom of this article is exactly what I want to do and would expect for this feature! Screenshot below for ease of reference:

However, we have the redesigned planning interface so the details in this article seem to be what I have to work with, instead. See screenshot #2 below:

The difference between these is not small! If I understand correctly:
- Screenshot #1:
- I create a CPR in my Advanced Roadmap Plan
- I add the Projects I want this CPR to be created in.
- I am then able to do all my organization and reporting using Advanced Roadmaps Plan view.
- Screenshot #2:
- I would first need to create FixVersions within each individual Project manually
- In order to create FixVersions in each Project I need to be configured with Project Admin rights for each Project.
- Should I title each FixVersion the same in each Project so they match the CPR I want them all to roll up into?
- Then and only then can I create a Cross Project Release within my Plan and pull all those new FixVersions into each CPR slice.
Now I imagine we have identified four (4) milestone slices of delivery for our product and there are eight (8) Jira Projects collaborating, potentially more down the road. The manual intervention needed for this is just astounding!
Please tell me I've got it all wrong or there is a better idea out there! Thank you so much for your consideration.