I am attempting to create an Epic (Issue Type), however, when I select "Epic", the "Epic Link" field below populates with the error message "An epic cannot have another epic linked to it".
Hi @Theresa Tankersley ,
In Jira We have an Hierarchy
Epics > Story > Sub-task.
Eg: Parent > Children > Grand Children
Stories / Tasks / Bugs / other same level can be linked with epic using "Epic Link" field
So you are unable to link one epic with another epic using "Epic Link".
Hoping it helps a bit.
Thanks...I understand the hierarchy however, I'm not trying to link one epic to another...I'm simply trying to create a new epic. I'm unsure why it thinks I am linking to something else.
Hi ,
You can try to create a story by providing "Epic Link". you will get an idea.
"Epic Link" is used only for stories and tasks.
Many stories are created under epic with "Epic Link".
"Epic Link" will shows the already Created Epics @ Story Level.
A story can be added into Epic by using "Epic Link" , Epic Link shows already created Epic names
The reason you are seeing this error is that you have Epic Link field in thee create screen you are using when creating an epic. Basically you are using a single create screen for all issue types. Then if you select Epic as the issuetype during the create the error will appear. It want cause any issue unless you attempt to enter info into that field and then submit the form. So in short you can ignore OR you can create a new screen that does not have the EpicLink field and associate with Epic issuetype.
Hi @Theresa Tankersley
I see what you mean. In this step this is in other words not an error but rather some kind of "User Experience" issue - the message appears because "Epic Link" is on the corresponding screen but it does not mean specifically there is an error this time.Or to rephrase it: it is just normal and the message can be ignored this time (when creating an Epic).Edit: Jack was faster and my browser did not refresh. What he said applies
Cheers,Daniel
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.