I find the separation of Jira Software and Jira Core really confusing. I've read lots of people asking about this without a good explanation. All the explanations talk about high level differences between the two product lines. Yeah, I get that, but how is licensing actually configured for various user types?
Can someone please describe how these types of roles are licensed?
Software Development Team: These people would use the standard Jira Software functionality and would be licensed for Jira Software as expected.
Company Management: These people would have only read-only access to the Jira Software screens so they can occasionally check in on progress. Many of these people would rarely if ever dig in to it, but should have the option to go check if needed. Do they each need a Jira Software license or would Jira Core suffice?
Business Users: These people would create and work with business projects (Jira Core). However, they should be able to create issues in software projects, and search for existing ones to avoid creating duplicates, check the status of the issues they created, etc. If they have Jira Core licenses, can they get this basic access to Jira Software projects, or will they only see the Jira Core projects?
How is this set up? I currently have a trial with the Jira Software app. I don't see a way to create projects with business templates. All I can choose from is Classic or Next-Gen. Am I supposed to also install Jira Core as a second app? Or is there a non-obvious way to add business-like projects in Jira Software?
If I am supposed to also add Jira Core, and then there is a second set of projects (those created in Jira Software and a separate set in Jira Core) then I'm assuming that people licensed for Jira Core won't even be able to see projects in Jira Software, and won't be able to add issues there. Also, vice versa, for those licensed to use Jira Software, will they be able to see the projects in the Jira Core app automatically, or do they also need to be licensed for the Jira Core app (getting double-charged)?
It's all very confusing. This doesn't seem like an uncommon scenario. Is there good documentation that describes how Jira Software and Jira Core would both be used in a company that has both software development and lots of standard business projects?