Hi,
A lot has been written about the next-gen boards. I am trying to set up a set of board for different projects, most for the workflow of changes in content and technics in wordpress sites, and some for larger software projects. Jira is/was supposed to become our main project management tool.
So I needed some things:
- A Workflow going from todo -> working -> done, but with extra statusses and transitions like "ready for acceptance", "ready to provide feedback" and "waiting on customer".
- Sub tasks that are like the Trello todo lists: either open or done (they now get the same workflow as tasks)
- A dashboard that gives our people a good overview of work that they need to do, and the project manager a good overview of stuff that needs to be accepted, is still open etc
- Rules that work to fix some things, like the setting the task to "ready for acceptance" when all subtaks are done (or also "ready for acceptance").
I find this take a lot of work and time, hopefully because I am missing some point:
- For every project, I seem to have to recreate a workflow
- A status like "Ready for acceptance" in project 1 is not the same status as the one with the same name in project 2. So global rules will not be able to set a status, because project 1 does not have the same statusses as project 2.
- Filters must be made in JQL, because selecting a status in the filter shows every status for every project, again because there is not global concept of status.
My newbee questions are:
- Is the above correct, or do I miss some nice feature that helps?
- Should I use classic instead? (I tried, but I could not create nice statusses)
- For testing, we use the free accounts. Maybe it helps when we start paying, do we get the features we need then?
- It this next-gen ready to go? Or should I come back in a year or so?
I would love to read input from more experiences users!
Regards, Jelmer