I have a Jira Cloud instance that has organically grown from a number of disparate teams using their own custom Jira configurations to an organisation-wide instance. As an admin I'm trying to reign in some custom configuration and either simplify them or just use out of the box fields. As an example, I have 4 different custom fields that all record defect severity for Bug issue types.
When I identify a duplicate custom field what I'd like to do is migrate the data to another field (either custom or out-of-the-box) then remove the old field. Let's assume all these fields are single value drop-downs.
What I think I need to do is this:
1. Add the new field to every screen the old field is on.
2. For each value in the current drop-down, find all the issues with that value.
3. Bulk edit those issues to set the corresponding drop-down value of the new field.
4. Once all drop-down values migrated, remove the old custom field.
The trouble I have is step 2 is very labour intensive as there are many custom fields and many drop-down values. Also for some reason I often can't see the new field in the bulk edit screen.
Am I doing it right? Any best practices that may be better?