Hi,
I'm trying to migrate a project that contains 9.000+ issues out of an instance for which I don't have admin rights, to another instance where I do have admin rights.
To do the export I'm using the builtin export functionality from the issue list screen, with the workaround to extract all issues above the first 1000 using these instructions:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/increase-issue-limit-for-excel-exports-in-jira-cloud-779160811.html
This results in multiple CSV files each containing 1000 issues (both tasks and sub-tasks) including all comments, which is what I need.
However, I run into 2 problems:
- Concatenating these files (to do the import in one go) by hand is next to impossible because each file is generated with varying amounts of columns for some of the fields, like comments, attachments and versions.
For example:
If I generate an export of issue A that has 2 comments, the export-file will contain 2 comment-columns.
If I do the same for issue B that has 23 comments, the export-file will contain 23 comment-columns.
Simply combining these files (making sure only the first row contains header information) breaks the import because multiple fields are not in their expected places. - If I don't concatenate the files and fall back to importing each file of 1000 issues one at a time, I get to the next problem, which is with sub-tasks. They are only recognized by the CSV importer if both task and its related sub-tasks are in the same import-file. If they are spread across import-files the sub-tasks are not recognized as such because the issue-id and parent-id (which the importer uses to map them together) of all issues are regenerated upon import of each file.
I've been fiddling around with this for a while now and I don't really know how to approach this.
Are there any tools (freeware or commercial) available that will either:
- concatenate the default export-files in a way the import-tool will recognize, or
- allow for migrating issues from one project to another across instances via other means?
I can request the admin on the originating instance to install plugin X or Y to make a proper export possible, but I would have to be sure that I get what I wish for :-)
Or is there some other option that I did not think of?
I'm aware of the export functionality in the admin-console, but this adds data to the export that we don't want in the new project.