We have organized our Issues into Components which map to the functional areas of our product. We need to display these Components in the Backlog and filter the Backlog by these Components.
How do we do this?
Hi @Matt Richards
For a classic board/project, you can create quick filters by component, and then filter in the backlog or board views. Here is the documentation on creating quick filters:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-quick-filters/
You can also edit your card layout on the board and/or in the backlog to show the component value.
For a NextGen project, quick filters have not been implemented yet. You can review the suggestion to add that feature and vote for it here:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17446
Best regards,
Bill
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your response. I've just created some quick filters. I'm concerned that we will have more of them than their reserved space will allow, but I suppose I'll explore that as I create more.
With regards to card layout, I have also enabled the display of components as you advised. This worked, but I've got to say, the display style is horrendous. It makes the entire board difficult to read. I wish they had implemented it as they have the display of Epics, which is much more legible.
One last question for you... Is it possible to set up additional boards in the project that would be filtered to a single component? By this I mean "backlog-style" boards and not kanban or scrum style boards.
Thanks so much for your help.
I am glad to hear that the filters helped. And I agree that the card layouts could be improved.
Regarding separate boards by component, you could create as many boards as you need, with each board's adding to the filter, such as
AND component = myComponentA
However, please consider who is doing the work. If this is one team, splitting to separate boards could create a new problem where the team cannot see everything they have in progress, and so lead to higher work in progress (WIP)...and thus slow down completion. If instead these are all separate teams (by component) splitting may make sense.
__Bill
When I attempt to create a new board, I'm only presented with the option to create a Scrum or Kanban board, much as I see for "Active sprints". Is it possible to create multiple "backlog-style" boards?
Also, in next-gen projects I see that there are filters that have dropdowns with values (shown in attached image). Can these be created on a classic backlog? Ideally I would have a "Component" dropdown with a list of components to filter by.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Hi Bill, it seems they released today the next gen project custom filters but they do not allow the creation of a custom dropdown, such as a "component" dropdown. One is still required to create one filter for each component, which is impractical if the there are many components.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22870
Hi @Diego -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
Yes, I agree...and...I expect over time that features that people find valuable in either company-managed or team-managed project boards/backlogs will even out some to become available in both. :^)
Kind regards,Bill
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.