I want to integrate Jira with another system that is unaware of Jira issue keys. They can only send their own ticket ids and I plan to store these ids into a custom field in Jira for reference.
Now, I can access a scheduled REST API to refresh information from the remote system. All I get into the webhook data is a list of issues with their ids and other info. I seek a way to update info for all existing Jira issues based on custom field values and also create any new issues for the items that appear new in the remote system interrogation.
Except coding my own third party sync app against the remote system and Jira and do the entire logic there, is there any chance I can simply use Jira automation to perform this task?
So far I stumbled upon these problems:
- did not find a way to iterate the webhook data (loops)
- did not find a way to declare issues I want to work on except if they are defined in the first step
About the last problem, I noticed if I am using an incoming webhook and do not pass any issue key within it I am only limited to creating new issues. I see I can query issues now with JQL and put them in {{lookupIssues}} smart value but then, no way to update an issue that I know its key on subsequent actions.