We set up a new project, added new Jira users, and added users to the new project. It appears that the new users can see all projects, not just the project they were added to. How can we restrict access to projects that users are assigned to?
Hello @Brian Hoffman
Welcome to the community.
Are you working with Classic projects or Next Gen projects
As John said the Permission Scheme assigned to a project and the Browse Projects permission in what determines who can view the project.
The Permissions Schemes are about affirming access. You don't explicitly state in them "deny this permission to these groups/users".
What has likely happened is that the Permission Scheme assigned to your projects has granted the Browse Projects permission to a default user group, like jira-software-users, to which all licensed users get added. So when these new users became licensed and added to the default group, they became able to see all the projects accessible to that group.
To prevent them from seeing all projects, if they are Classic projects, you will have to modify the Permission Scheme(s) assigned to the project(s) to change which group(s) have the Browse Projects permission.
I don't work a lot with Next Gen project, so I can't speak knowledgeably about how permissions are managed for those.
Hi Brian - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
You can restrict access to a project by changing the Permission Scheme for the project. Update the scheme to change who has access to the Browse Project permission.
Thank you John. I will take a look at the Permission Scheme configuration.
Hello @Trufy Claspill,
We are working with Next Gen projects. Your explanation makes perfect sense - thanks for taking the time to respond.
Brian.
Hi John, what about Next Gen projects? I don't know how I can remove this permission. I don't want everyone to see other projects.
@Mariano Lancellotti
Access to Next Gen projects is totally different. Refer to
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/next-gen-permissions/
You will have to set the Access level on Next Gen projects to Private, and explicitly grant access on each project to the people who need access. The other Access options will enable all licensed user to see the projects.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.