I've worked at Bloomberg with mountains of servers, at small companies with self-hosted and Atlassian hosted versions of the software and in all cases the Atlassian products are slow as Christmas.
How many countless hours of developer's time have been wasted waiting on Jira to paint the screen? Waiting on BitBucket? Confluence is probably the fastest product Atlassian has and the one I need the least.
I've reached the point that if someone would clone Jira and just made it fast, I'd volunteer to rekey the entire ticket database just so I could have my time back.... (this is not true, I'd write something to scrape the DB from one product to the other)
Is there no one at Atlassian that could work on the speed of this product? Right now we are using Atlassian hosted Jira, so if it is a HW problem, it still belongs to Atlassian, but based on everything I've seen, this is a SW problem.