I use Jira 8.5.5 hosted by Di2E, and I have a major problem with the way sprints are handled when moving issues between projects. I manage multiple product lines, and occasionally there are tickets that are entered in on the wrong board.
The problem is that if the Jira issue is already assigned to a sprint, that sprint that was for Project A is now also associated with Project B. There is no way to disassociate it from the wrong project board without causing unintentional harm. When the same sprint is associated with two projects the following are true:
- Changing the sprint name on one board changes it on the other board
- Deleting the sprint deletes it on both boards and all the associated issues are moved to the next sprint (or backlog)
- Starting the sprint on one board starts it on the other
The major issue is that I never wanted that sprint to be associated with the other project. Each project has it's own release trains and numbering. The only way to fix the issue I know of is the following procedure:
- Create a new sprint on the origin board
- Move all the issues from the original sprint to the new one (and the sprint goal as well)
- Move all the issues from the destination board to the correct sprint or backlog
- Delete the duplicate sprint (affects both boards)
If multiple people are working the backlog, and new issues get assigned to the erroneous sprint, we have to create 2 new sprints and move the issues on each board to fix the problem.
QUESTION 1:
Is there any non-destructive way to remove a sprint association from a project's board? Barring that, can "Delete Sprint" be redefined to remove the sprint association with a project and on the last association actually delete the sprint?
The current behavior is confusing, introduces too many opportunities to unintentionally screw up another project's backlog.
QUESTION 2:
When moving an issue between projects, can we please strip the associated sprint that should ONLY belong to one project?
This is the real problem here. It's surprising behavior, and it is the only way I know of to get into a situation where the same Sprint object is associated with boards for two separate projects. It should be considered a bug.