I've been asked to create a new project, using the settings/issue templates/etc. from an existing project. I'm seeing a lot of how-tos on how to do this in different versions of Jira; but is there any way to do it in Jira Software?
Hi @Daniel_Oborne
You can create a new project, sharing a range of settings with an existing one:
^ This will re-use the existing schemes on a new project. This doesn't clone/create new ones - it just means the new and existing projects will share common workflows, issue types, screens, fields, permissions, notifications, etc.
See more information on Shared Configuration on this page.
Note: This is for Classic projects only. It is currently not possible to share schemes across Next-Gen projects.
Ste
Thank you. I've been told that the share settings option is available, but while trying to do this for a Next-Gen project, I haven't been seeing it.
Yeah - it's not available in Next-Gen at this stage, as each project and its configuration is designed to be entirely independent from all others.
There is a feature request to allow this though - check-out JSWCLOUD-17430
I have to say I get increasingly frustrated with these "nope, can't do that on a next-gen project" scenarios for something that should be an obvious default feature. When will Atlassian begin paying me for the time it takes to recreate settings that could have been saved with the option that was available in the OLDER version?
The hardest part of the cloning from one project to the next is the workflows. I cannot find out how to do this and have gone through a few to -do and have not found the way. We have a team-managed project and we have created a great workflow but to do manually will take some time so looking for a short cut for sure.
Hi @Jessica Venditti
Team-managed Projects used to be called Next-Gen.
It's not possible to share Workflows between different Team-managed projects at this stage, only Company-managed.
Thanks - I was able to re-create to get this completed.
Any easy work arounds for this issue at this time other than manually doing a do-over?
Hi @Daniel_Oborne Jira software supports, team-managed or company-managed projects. As you are looking to reuse settings, company-managed projects are the way to go, because as others pointed out, reusing settings is not supported in team-managed projects yet.
Without addon, your best option would be to use the 'Create with shared settings' button during project creation. This helps to reuse settings, but comes with some limitations in terms of what can be copied and is also not as user friendly as specifying your own custom templates.
If that is what you are looking for, you'll find third party solutions, that allow you to create custom project templates on Jira cloud on the marketplace. Take a look:https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=project%20templates%20%2B%20jira
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.