Hello everyone,
I have an existencial question within Jira. I have no experience with the software, just with Trello and I'm setting up Jira to manage Kanban projects which always have multiple components:
- Hardware
- Software
- Firmware
- Mechanical
- Documentation and marketing items
For each of these, I've devised a workflow. Before I knew better, I thought It would go like this:
- Each physical product could be a project, example: "Calculator X1" is a project
- within this project, I would open multiple kanban boards, each for the component type, i.e. 1 board for software, 1 board for hardware, etc..
- For each board I would have a different workflow
- I'd still be able to use epics, stories, tasks and subtasks as the issue types for the cards within each board....and cards pertaining to software would only show in the software board etc.
Now, I've just read that workflows in Jira are based on issue types, not on boards, so this plan went up in smoke.
I would have to create issue type "hardware", issue type "software" and so on, so I could have boards with different workflows within a project...bus it this a correct practice? It sounds fishy just writting it..
How would do you guys manage stuff like this??
Thank you, Regards